Sonntag, 17. August 2014

The northern light: Stockholm - Part II

I left Denmark on the one and only rainy morning, thrilled to be in Stockholm for the third time. For me, it's the City of beautiful and stylish People here in Europe. I've never seen as many blondes with a great sense of Fashion as here in Sweden. The ability to Combine clothing, add some male fashion elements and Play with shapes is incredible here!




This is why I was absolutely in to see the exhibition about contemporary swedish fashion (Svenskt MOde 2000-2015, running until August 31st 2014) that takes place in the faboulous Sven-Harry's konstmuseum. The museum is a huge golden building, designed by Anna Höglund, which unites different activities: despite the galleries and Sven Harry's home (a reproduction on it on the roof terrace), there is a restaurant, some apartments and commercial premises. It's just by Vasaparken, where usually people spend time when the sun is shining or have some coffee at the restaurant.


Sven Harrys Konstmuseum 
Terrace



One of my favourites :)



The exhibition itself takes place in all three gallery rooms and shows the creative explosion that happened in the Swedish fashion industry from 2000 on. Young brands like Acne, Cheap Monday, Filippa K, Tiger of Sweden, V Avenue Shoe Repair and Carin Wester invite the visitors through this journey with runway shows sequences, posters of commercials, drafts and outfits from the past 15 years. It was so inspirational and filled of amazing ideas, that my wardrobe (and I have a pretty big one!) is looking beyond boring compared to it.


Sketches




Photo: Courtesy of Svenskt Mode 2000-2015 Exhibition





- Sven-Harrys Konstmuseum, Eastmansvägen 10-12, 116 31 Stockholm. Entrance SEK 99

I had my comfortable stay at the Omena Hotel located close to the Central Station (T-Centralen). It's a self catered hotel, but since I'm not really the room service type, I had absolutely no idea. It's a clean and basic hotel with door codes (watch out, check in time starts from 4 PM!). Rooms have coffee/tea facilities, microvawe oven and fridge. I couldn't complain having two beds for myself ;)




My lovely friend Jessica lives in Stockholm, and she was so sweet to spend her evenings with me, even if she was working all the time those days. She showed me a little hill close to the T-Train station Slussen, where you have a breathtaking view over the city, and, with some luck even a beautiful sunset included. People seem to hang up there every summer evening having a glass of wine and enjoying the long days.





Even if I've been in Stockholm two times already, I missed Södermalm out. So, being there my third time, it was on the top of my to-do list, and I wasn't disappointed. Södermalm seems to be the laid back part of the city, with lots of tiny, cute restaurants and bars, vintage shops and a chilled out vibe. It didn't feel a part of the big city life anymore for me, I had more the sensation to be in a village nearby. And I loved it! I met Jessica there one evening and we went for a thai restaurant called Koh Phangan, where we had amazing noodles and a chat in the outside sitting area, which almost seems to be a garden. I couldn't end my day better in Södermalm with a relaxing walk back to the Slussen station enjoying people having their afterwork beers in the bars nearby.

Södermalm



Restaurant Koh Phangan




Speaking of summer, long Scandinavian nights and aperos: if you are up there during summertime, try to enjoy the most openair bars you can! My last evening took me on a square close to my hotel, to have one last drink in a faboulous place called Family of Supper, where I discovered another tasty drink: the spicy melon, based on chili vodka (yum!). This place is a south american inspired restaurant, for those who maybe wanna have dinner first and then the vodka. :)




Stockholm has a lot of cultural attractions to offer, especially if we continue talking about museums. I couldn't leave Sweden without being a bit kitsch and visit the recently opened AbbA Museum. My mother used to listen to their music and I have to admit: there was almost no song played in there, that I didn't know! The museum entrance may be a bit pricey, but has a lot to offer. Starting from the history of the four band members, going on to their won Eurovision Song Contest in 1974, and so on until the end of the band's history. Original Costumes are everywhere and there are plenty of activities to join like karaoke, video recording and even a disco floor (yes, based on "Dancing Queen", of course).






- The Abba Museum, Djurgardsvägen 68, 115 21 Stockholm. Entrance SEK 195

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time (boooo! Museum closes early!), I was absolutely dying to see a free exhibition about sailor tattoos, held at Sjöhistoriska Maritime Museum. I am a huge fan of oldschool tattooing, I have a couple of artpieces on myself. As I've heard, there's a large variety of art from the 20s and 30s displayed, which expresses the most symbolized feelings from all sailors in that period: Faith, Hope and Love. So romantic!

Photo: Courtesy of Sjöhistoriska

Photo: Courtesy of Sjöhistoriska
- Sjöhistoriska, Djurgardsbrunnsvägen 24, 115 27 Stockholm

Practical Infos:

How to get there: My flight from CPH to ARN was with Norwegian. Flying the first time with them, I was pleasantly surprised. One way starts around 60 Euros. From Arlanda Airport, the cheapest way to get in the city is the coach bus Flygbussarna (45 min to T-Centralen, one way SEK 99). For those who want the journey to be faster, use the Arlanda Express (20 min to T-Centralen, SEK 260 for one way).

How to get around: Buy a public transport pass at any T-Train station. You'll get a card similar to London's oyster, which can be reloaded all the time. I reccomend to take a walk from time to time, it's totally worth it!

When and Why: Summer up in the north is magical. July and August have warm temperatures and there is plenty of light! I wouldn't choose any other season.

Shopping: I. Love. Scandinavian. Fashion! You can find the most stores almost everywhere in the city. For clothes I am a fan of Monki, Weekday, Gina Tricot and Indiska (for Interiors and home decor), just to mention a few. Second hand paradise is Södermalm.

What Else: Stockholm has one of the oldest amusement parks in Europe. Founded in 1883, Gröna Lund has also other attractions to offer like live concerts and entertainment. Located directly on the water, offers a pictoresque view to the other side of the city. Entrance SEK 110.

With my friend Jessica :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen